Old 07-08-08, 07:40 AM
TurboTurtle
NeoRetroGrouch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnrpowell
To give you a little background, I'm 32 and have been road riding for just over 2 years (mountain biking for 8). My weekly workout regimen involves three days of cardio (25-35 mile ride, or 40 minutes on a stationary bike if I can't get outside), and three days of weight lifting (alternating upper and lower body).

I seem to have hit a wall on the bike. No matter how far or what type of ride I do (25 mile recoveries to 65 mile grinders), I cannot average better than 16.5 - 16.8 mph. I can go the distance, just not as fast as I'd like (I'd be happy with another 2-3 mph improvement).

So, my question is, what's the most important suggestion all of you can make to help me adjust my training to improve? I purchased a computer with cadence and will be buying a HRM soon. Ideas?
To ride fast, you need to ride fast. Go short and fast. If you ride with groups, find one that drops you in the first 20 miles. Or do a search on 'intervals'. You need to stress you body. If you only go 17mph, your body will only adapt to go 17mph. - TF