View Single Post
Old 07-08-08, 01:22 PM
Tony (Michigan)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
If your feet hurt you might need different shoes, or maybe they are too tight. Work on your spin so that you aren't mashing down all the time, try to pull up with your feet. Try to describe a circle as you spin the pedals. You may have to mash on the hills, but spin as much as you can.
If your knee hurts you may need to adjust the cleats or try something else. You can't force the knees to twist or turn in a way they don't naturally go. I use Kneesavers pedal extenders because I toe-out. I rode with clips and straps with flat shoes and based my cleat position on the marks on those shoes.
I use SPD pedals on all my bikes and my feet never hurt, even after climbing for hours. The shoes are the key, not the pedals. I've tried Look, Time, Shimano Look-type, and Mavic pedals. It's mostly about the shoes.

I get that eye problem with some glasses, but not if I use larger lenses, like Oakleys.
Thanks big john. I wear Oalkeys size 11 but my true shoe size for walking is 9.5. The reason for the 11's is due to width. It is hard to find EEE width in biking shoes. I can strap down the shoes tight enough though on the Oakleys.
I walk toe out and probably should toe out riding the bike too.
The guy at the bike shope that measured me said I should eventually make my toes point straight while pedaling.