Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Going Clipless - HELP teach an old dog

OK, I've taken the plunge and bought some shoes and clipless pedals.

I really like how they feel, way better than toe clips, even if the toe clips are tight. I went for a short ride after I finished with the yard work, and these things really seem to help me stay "connected," as well as make it easier to practice my spinning.

Now I need advice on where to set everything, especially the placement of the cleats on the shoes. I know absolutely nothing about these things, and sure want to learn.

Do I set them as far to the front as I can, and become a toe dancer? Or aim for my arch for maximum power? Or, do I try to set them near the balls of my feet? It may sound like a stupid question, and I have more.

Do I try to set them so my feet are straight, flared out, pigeon toed, or what?

I find that they are easier to get clipped and unclipped if they are forward and straight, but I am not sure if I am getting the most benefit with them there.

I would like to know what is considered ideal, for most, not necessarily the most comfortable, as I'd like to try to start out right.

I also assume that I should start out as loose on the clamping as I can get away with, especially until I become more acclimated to them. I sure have to think about what I'm doing when I want to stop.

I'm very surprised at the amount of adjustment that is possible. Way more than I envisioned.

I appreciate any and all opinions, and relish the opportunity to learn about these things.