View Single Post
Old 07-10-08, 09:48 AM
BSLeVan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony (Michigan)
If I were to draw the patella (knee cap) and draw a horizontal line right across the middle, the pain is right behind the knee cap starting from the middle to the top of the cap.

The source of the pain? Maybe biting off more miles than I could chew at one time and thus overusing the knee?

According to the book "Cycling past 50" the author says not to go more than 5% what one is used to doing on a bike or injuries can result. I guess I went way over 5%.

But still, maybe some of the problem has to do with how I am set up on the bike.
I think it may indeed be bike setup. Not all shop personnel are equally good at bike fitting, and even the best can't do it properly without feedback from the rider. Your body is giving you feedback. Mark your seat post at it's current height. Then raise by 1/4 inch and see if it makes a difference. Ride on a flat without any climbs for a few miles while keeping cadence above 90 (not near 90). If it doesn't help, you can always put it back to your mark. This is a cheap, easy thing to do and may provide relief. It won't hurt anything if it doesn't.