Old 07-12-08, 09:56 AM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by milehile
I'm 6'6" 260lbs and am looking for a bike. I went to Dunhams and found a K2 Zed Sport that I like and is comfortable, but am worried that the piston shock won't hold up to my weight. I'm also looking at a GMC licensed Denali road bike.

I guess my first question is which would best serve my purpose of riding to and from work 3-5 days a week, all pavement, 15-20 degree inclines, and about 10 miles round trip. The K2 is $275 and the GMC is slightly less.

My second question, is whether the narrow tires of a road bike can handle my weight. The tires of the Denali seem very well built and sturdy, but can't be too sure until I ride it.

Please take into concideration that money is tight, and I can't really afford to pay for gas for small commutes. I figure if I bought a bike, that it would pay for itself after a couple of weeks.
They still selling the Caddy bike? Realize that it's about half the price of the cheapest bike shop road bike, that should tell you a few things, probably made in the same factory as the high quality bicycles sold at Walmart. Your right to be concerned about the shock on the MTB, The biggest concern is wheels, they need to be properly tensioned and trued, realize a set of clyde friendly, hand built wheels will probably cost more then the bicycles your looking at....

If money is an issue, then check out Craigs List, for a nice and experienced bicycle, contact your local police service and see if they have an annual auction, sometimes you can find some nice deals there. Rarely you can even find a deal on Fleabay, Gar(b)age sales sometimes also can cough up nice bikes for a decent price.....