Old 07-13-08, 01:28 PM
-Devil-

Bikes: Raleigh Mojave 8.0, Soul Cycles Dillinger 29er (project, to be a SS rigid), Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
exercises (or other stuff) to help build endurance?

hey,

ok well i have only been regularly riding since mid Feb. after a 10+ year break ... (by regularly i mean 2 to 4 times a week for a total of 5 to 10 miles each time) ... and mixed in with that ... 1 to 3 times a week at the gym, more at the gym when weather is bad, and more on the bike when weather is good.

as i am able to ride further something i am running into, that i am looking for suggestions on what may help ...

my endurance.

first, a typical ride for me is 90% off road .. on singletrack and up and down fire road hills and so forth ... very little actually on the road.

it takes me almost 3 miles before my muscles get warmed up and i don't get tired as quickly ... i understand that is somewhat typical ... i normally stop after 2 to 3 miles to stretch some ... then pick up again ...

after that, i can make it about 6 to 8 more miles total (including some 2 to 5 min breaks) before my legs just don't want to work anymore ... mostly my hips and upper parts of my legs... they don't hurt or burn or anything ... they just dont want to move ... i have to force myself to make them go ... and then normally have to stop for a bit after that push ...

the furtherest i have gone non stop is about 7+ miles. and i wasn't really tired then .. but was having the same thing with my hips and upper legs ...

a little info on me ... i am 34 ... male, 235lbs (was 281 in jan) i try to consume 3,000 calories a day sometimes a little more ... which is split between carbs, protein, and a little fat ... very rarely do i eat anything that is 'processed' (junk food, or fast food, etc)

i have started noticing this within the past month ... i am not sure if it is just me, if it is maybe heat related .. or a combination of both .. (normally is about 85+ when i start riding in the morning ... and will be 93+ by the time i stop with the humidity in the 30 to 50%+ range)

is there any exercises that i can do to help build up my upper legs and hips? ... or is it one of those ... just keep pushing myself harder and longer .. till it isn't as much of an issue?