View Single Post
Old 07-14-08, 05:17 AM
FergusF

Bikes: 2003 Kona Smoke, 2004 Fuji Touring, 2005 Brompton L3, 2008 Dahon MU XL Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although I prefer the term 'rider' to 'driver' when describing those who operate a bicycle, I think the OP makes some very good practical points about riding in traffic and the problem of the lack of training facilities for racing cyclists.
*We should all show courtesy to other road users and follow the traffic laws.
*There is no point in having the right of way and getting run over by a truck. This is common sense and applies to whatever vehicle you ride or drive.
*It is true that the lack of training facilities forces those training for races to use public roads. I think the OP's point is that these cyclists should take care, both for their own safety and to promote a good image of cycling for non-cyclists and for beginner cyclists.

Personally, when I am riding in areas where I need to share the road or path with other traffic (vehicular or pedestrian) I try to be courteous, ride safely and follow the traffic laws. This applies whether I am training, riding for recreation or riding for transport. I think the latter is what the OP refers to as 'driving'.

I cannot understand what in the original post aroused such apparent hostility in some replies. Could the people who disagreed with the OP please explain why they feel s/he is so wrong? Apart from one poster who felt it wrong to refer to riding as 'driving' I did not see any really constructive criticism of the OP.