View Single Post
Old 05-07-02, 06:51 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok, i must admit i haven't read Bicycling Magazine in about 2 years (i'm in Germany right now), but i used to subscribe and thought it was pretty good.

some time about 3 years ago they switched to a new format with shorter articles and more flashy short blurbs and i wasn't so crazy about their reducing the content and increasing the color and flashy look...

but i still thought the magazine was OK. if i remember right there was a mix of MTB, road, touring and a little about commuting/activism...

maybe it's because i'm kind of an all-round cyclist: daily commuter, MTB xCountry Racer, Road Rider, Criterium racer, long-distance tourer, + downhill/technical/singletrack

about my only complaint was that there is too much geared to buying new stuff --- but then that's just modern America - and advertisers support the magazine --- and besides, i do find that most recreational cyclists are more into buying new bike stuff than i am (average commuters buy less than i do)

so the only substantive complaints i've heard here are that it's all about racing, (and RiPHRaPH's comment that'S it's short blurbs -- has that gotten worse???) but otherwise, what do people dislike about Bycycling Magazine and which other magazines would you recommend? (i find most of the MTB magazines to be even more about racing and BUYING - which 1/2 the content being reviews of newest full-suspensions and forks and crazy expensive add-ons and disc brakes, etc.) --- and yes, i did buy my first expensive bike this March (almost $2000 for a Specialized FSR XC)

Last edited by nathank; 05-07-02 at 06:58 AM.