View Single Post
Old 07-16-08, 07:45 AM
Cycl/Canoe-ist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Telkwa (and other curious C'Dale owners),
While I currently don't have a pic handy, here's a description on how I mounted my "heavy duty" axiom rack.
- Dropout attachment was through the rack braze-ons...easy part.
- Since the travel agent on the rear brakes prevent direct access to the seat stay braze ons, I used the nearest pivot off my Thudbuster as a mounting point for the other support brackets. You can see the pivot I'm talking about in Baldy's photo, which is the bottom right pivot in this photo. The pivot is fixed and hollow, which allowed me to simply put a long bolt through the pivot to secure both rack brackets. Make sure to use lock nuts and washers. Also, don't over-tighten in case you want to adjust seat height for the stoker. And FYI, securing a bolt on this pivot DOES NOT impede on the Thudbuster's performance.

This set-up worked well for us and held as much as 130lbs (static) and 40lbs (touring) without any issues.

Baldy,
Did you mount both rack brackets to one mounting point centered between the seat stay on your frame? With a heavy load, I'm curious if this rig would be prone to some minor twisting.