Old 07-16-08, 09:13 AM
thebarerider

Bikes: Trek520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last minute questions

I'm heading out for Colorado this Saturday, bright and early. I'll be using a route cyccommute drew up for me as a guideline, changing it a little and throwing in Taos, Moab, or Leadville (I'm leaning towards this) as a side journey. The route begins and ends in Alamosa.

I have everything I think I need except experience, but after the next month I will have some of that Some things I am still concerned about:

1) Bears. I have read all about the safety triangle and hanging my food. How likely is it, though, that if I hang my food a bear or some smaller animal will still get into my pannier? And what on earth would I do if a bear destroyed my pannier?

2) Stealth camping. How will I know what land is public and what land is private? I ask this because I read that it is not necessary for CO residents to mark the land with a fence or a sign. Right now, I've got a route going that will put me in a campground each night for the first few days so I don't have to worry, but it has me doing a pretty long day on the second day (a little over 80 miles).

3) About that long trip the second day, does anyone have an experience with Highway 84 from Chama, NM into Pagosa Springs? The interactive AAA map I was using showed no gas stations along the route. Are there any other services or should I be prepared to break out my water filter?

My panniers are packed, sitting at the edge of my bed. I need to grab a new set of brake pads and install them plus get two disposable cameras, and then I am set. Hopefully finding a place to leave my car for four weeks in Alamosa won't be a problem.