Old 07-18-08, 02:02 PM
Fleetdog

Bikes: Gary Fisher Wingra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bullhorn reach estimate

Crossposting here because it doesn't even seem to be getting read much in the mechanics board.

I'm slowly building up a SS/fixed bike and I want to go with bullhorn/TT bars on it. My problem is that there are so many variations out there with different amounts of drop and reach that I'm not sure which would be best (or if I need a new stem to go with the bars. I will have neither cranks nor wheels for a while still so I'm looking for a different way to estimate which bars are going to work best.

Is it reasonable to assume that I will put the saddle on my new bike roughly the same distance from the BB as the saddle on my current geared bike? If that will be close, my idea is to get the saddle set on the new bike and use some wooden blocks to raise the bike roughly crank height off the floor so I can just slide different handlebars in and see how they affect my position. I realize I will look like an idiot in the store doing this, but if it helps me pick the right bars the first time I'm OK with it.

Do you think this would work? Do you have a better idea?