View Single Post
Old 07-18-08, 06:56 PM
daibutsu
Banned.

Bikes: Marin San Anselmo, old Mountain Bike, real old schwinn road bike, and Birdy folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep the Pedestrian in Pedaling

I'm car free, militant and most certainly a vehicular biker. Here in DC, the law when it's convenient to cite, says bikers can take up the whole lane if the lane is less that 11 (eleven) feet. That's fine when it behooves me. Postings on this site discuss road vs. sidewalk problems; I don't owe allegiance to upcoming traffic, I'll go wherever is most efficient. Intersections: Most local laws seem to indicate that bikers have the same responsibilities as car drivers; ok, the sensors embedded within roads at intersections don't sense bikes- I've never seen a car driver have to get outta his/her car and push the "to cross" button.

We mostly know that our efficiency is in better visibility, great acceleration, and weaving thru. auto pileup situations. Why not align ourselves with the PED concept, vs. equal to automobiles. Pedestrians, mostly at hash marked intersections are supposed to cross, stopping vehicular traffic. Lets get the PEDaler image aligned with PEDestrian and stiil ride like banshees.