View Single Post
Old 07-21-08, 11:27 PM
dburbott

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek 4500 Converted to Fixed Gear?

I have a Trek 4500 that I would like to convert to a fixed gear bike. I don't know much about putting together or building bikes, but so far I have learned that I am pretty good at taking one apart................. I apologize if the questions are a little strange. I am new to rebuilding.

My plan:

Take everything off the frame and get a new fork instead of the judy Rockshox Judy TT suspension... this I need help with because I have no clue what fork I should get... I just know that I want something that is not a shock and is rigid and lighter.

Oh, and I am having a hell of a time getting the cranks and the gears off the bottom bracket. Am I just too weak or is there something that I'm missing?

Then I'm gonna get everything that I can repainted a solid color... can I paint the handlebars and the stems? I would think I couldn't because they aren't aluminum... what are they made of? Should I forgo the straight bars and get drop bars?

Then I want to convert the gears to a single fixed gear. I have no idea how, and the conversion information on the internet basically makes me think I am going to have a hell of a time because of my vertical dropouts... Any and all help would be appreciated.