Old 07-22-08, 10:55 AM
nickm77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much guys!

how far are we talking about? weekend? week long? cross country? beautifiul bike, btw.
I will probably start out with a few days at a time but I would like to work up to a few weeks or a month.

I'm not sure what you mean about the brake levers. Do you mean interrupters or cyclocross levers?
Yes, I'm talking about interrupters. Would that be a good idea or not necessary?

Also, from what you guys were saying, I'm not sure what to do about my shifters. The main type of shifters I am used to are STI, so the stock shift levers are very new and unusual to me. So I was just wondering if the bar end levers are easier to deal with while one is riding. I would be most interested in any comments you guys have regarding the two. I will need to replace my bar tape anyway so if I'm going to do the interrupter brake levers and/or the bar end shift levers, now would be the time.

Finally, I must say that I am quite confused and perplexed by the whole freewheel situation. I was inclined to just try out the bike and see how the current setup does. But I don't really want to start out only to find that I have to walk up hills. That would be a bad way to start out my touring career. So if my gear situation is that dire, what would be the easiest and least expensive way to get my gear situation straightened out in a quality way that won't brake down? Please give me as much detail as possible as I am new to this and my local bike shop guys are not what you would call experts on touring. They have a working knowledge of it but I don't think they have done it much.

Many thanks again!!!