View Single Post
Old 07-22-08, 01:26 PM
novacommuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Underbridge
I got mine off Craigslist. I'd just look for a while; there may not be a good deal on there at any given time, but over a few days or a week there should be. I took a quick look on there today and admittedly it looked a little weak, but it varies. You have to get good at scanning, because admittedly 90% of the posts on there are either crappy Walmart bikes, junky older bikes for cheap, or junky older bikes that the owner thinks are "vintage" and obscenely overpriced. But if you're willing to be patient and trudge through the crap, you can get a good deal.

There's also a pretty well reputed guy who runs Bulldog Bike Restoration in Arlington who picks up older bikes, gives them some love, and resells them at very fair prices.

What kind of bike are you after?
I'm after a fairly modern entry-level road bike without spending a fortune. Ideally, it would have an aluminum frame, brifters, and a triple crank. I have no need to add racks or any other gear aside from a small saddle bag that I already have.

My commute is entirely over paved multi-use trails and roads, and as such, I would like to find a bike that will get me back and forth to work, as well as let me do some longer distance training on the weekends.

I'm currently on my 17-year-old beater MTB that I updated with slicks, and it just isn't cutting it. I want something a little more sporty without breaking the bank.

I will definitely keep the beater to ride in less-than-ideal conditions and for the odd trail ride.