View Single Post
Old 07-22-08, 07:56 PM
zephyr

Bikes: Surly Troll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Park spoke tension tool for building wheels. I prefer my home grown wheels to anything on the mass market. Once a wheel is properly built and tensioned and had the spokes "strain relieved", any subsequent minor truing can be easily done in a truing stand. The park tension tool comes with a nice chart to calculate your spoke tension based on the thickness and type of spokes you are installing. Always check with the rim manufacturer and find out what is the maximum tension they recommend for front and rear spokes on the exact rim you have. I use Velocity rims for all my builds, and a quick email to their general question inbox got me an answer the next day. This is important info to prevent over tensioning a wheel and getting cracks around the spoke hole. After I over tensioned one nice rim, that was enough for me to get a Park spoke tension tool. Now I use the spoke tension tool several times during the wheel building to get even tension all around the rim before the spokes get too tight. It also helps me keep the wheel nice and round cause flat spots are the most time consuming problem to correct. It's money well spent.