Old 07-24-08, 01:33 PM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by acorn_user
I've never heard any mention of Kohl and doping before.
Right - I've not seen anyone come right out and say it. However, many have insinuated. Here's what Armstrong stated:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008...ng_predictions

Cyclingnews: It's been an incredibly tight race with plenty of excitement. What's stuck out for you?

LA: There's haven't been too many major shocks so far. I mean, you have Cadel Evans, and he's still as the favourite in my opinion. The guys from Team CSC have been doing what you'd expect and, of course, there's been [Denis] Menchov and Christian Vande Velde. To be honest I have been surprised by [Bernhard] Kohl though. I've simply never heard of that guy before the race. Who is he?

[Hint: Armstrong might have been focused on other riders instead of Kohl in this photo from the 2005 Dauphiné Libéré. -ed.]

Okay, perhaps I'm reading too much into Armstrong's comments. However, to me, "I've simply never heard of that guy before the race." (even though he'd raced with him) is code for "he may be doping". I read this, then I read the link (from Velonews) I posted above, and I scratched my head. Perhaps those are the only 2 sources ..... and none has stated that they know Kohl is doping. However, there is certainly suspicion in both.

I'm glad to hear that this doesn't seem to be based on anything specific. Until proven otherwise, I'm going to believe that he's just gotten better, and has had a great tour thus far.

... Brad