Old 07-24-08, 11:47 PM
Chris D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How often do you have to true your wheels?

This is probably a silly question, but I need to know. Here's the story:

I went to a bike shop about 1.5 months ago to get me a bike to commute to work. I'm 6' and weigh 270, so I'm rather curvy ;d. I'm almost certain I mentioned my weight and asked if it would be a problem, but my weight was never brought up in bike selection. I ended up getting a Trek 1.2 road bike.

Fast forward to last weekend. I took a bike safety class, and the first thing we went over is safety checks. Sooo, the instructor knew I was a rookie, so he came over to help me. Well, I just got the bike out of the shop Friday (had a 60 day tuneup), and the wheel was already out of true(untrued???). I had only rode it 10 miles Friday.

Soooo, after we finish the class, one of the instructors told me that it may very well had been trued, but my weight is probably causing problems. So, I took the bike back in Sunday to ***** about it. They check it out, and true the wheel again. 3 days later, the wheel is out of true again.

So, since I'm already passed the 30 day return policy, my options are to
a. ***** and raise hell about being sold a bike that I"m too big for
b. Learn to true the wheels myself

I do like the bike, and want to keep riding it. I'm just wondering if this is a problem for anyone else, and how you deal with it?