View Single Post
Old 07-25-08, 12:40 PM
lordkevin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got my first fixie! Swobo Sanchez

Well, the day has finally arrived!! (will post pics when I go on my lunchbreak)

I just got back from Mellow Johnny's bike shop here in Austin TX with my new Swobo Sanchez. I picked up more than the bike however. I'm moving downtown soon and will be making a daily commute so I pretty much tried to get everything I need to make this happen.

I got:

My bike
A front brake installed
MKS Sylvan pedals
Krypronite Lock
18 in 1 bike tool
Tire Pump
and an extra tube

...all to fit snugly in my CamelBak Mayhem.

I'm super happy with the way the bike rides, and the overall speed of the bike is phenomenal. I have ridden my friends fixed gear before (an old 198? Raleigh conversion) but it's way too big for me, so the comfort of this bike makes a huge overall difference in the way it rides. If you're interested in picking one up, I'd say go for it.

I will be replacing pretty much everything except the frame on the bike and will post pics along the way.

I did have 2 questions that someone could hopefully help me out on:

A) When I use the front break it squeaks pretty DAMN loudly. Is this normal? I've noticed if I am lighter on the break the noise isn't as loud (obviously) but it takes way too long to slow down.

B) I was reading up on VeloSPace and someone recommended flipping the stem on the Sanchez to get "a more aggressive stance" and other people were saying they did it too and liked it. So, what exactly are they talking about? I know what the stem is, but don't really get what they mean by flipping it.

Thanks in advance for the help and I look forward to becoming active on the forums with all you fantastic people!!