View Single Post
Old 07-26-08, 08:50 AM
dscheidt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Gardner
Modern patch kits vulcanize with a chemical compound, no fire needed. Your patch kit sounds much funner, please do update us if you find some for sale, I'd love to see it in use!
No. "cold vulcanizing fluid" is just glue. Automotive patches have a special compound on the surface that's glued to the tire. The heat of the tire flexing causes the patch to vulcanize in place. I doubt that bikes generate that sort of heat. (Tube-type truck and car tires can sometimes have the tube vulcanize to the inside of the tire through this heat. That's why you use talc when assembling such a tire.

I've never seen the sort of repairs that the original poster is asking about. (I've heard of them, though.) I don't know if they're still made. I've my doubts. There are still heat curing tube patches available for the truck tire market. They'd work on a bike, but they're big and thick. You put them on with glue, like a normal patch, and then the tube is heated. A heat gun would be enough, heat, I should think.