Old 07-27-08, 07:22 AM
Craigthor

Bikes: Cannondale Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfish
re. washing, even in an apartment it's possible.

Avoid using the hose other than for a gentle rinse as it will wash the grease out of the bearings. I prefer to use a soft brush like the ones used for alloy wheel or bodywork and bucket of warm water and car shampoo. Work down from top to bottom to avoid getting the brush oily. Finish line sells a more expensive bike specific cleaning brush, which I also like. If you do this regularly the grime washes off in a few minutes and does not get a chance to build up.

Re. Upgrading
- I would personally recommend not to bother with the flight deck - you need some gear indicator 'widgets' that fit into the gear cables and show the gear you're in. These should be only a few $ rather than a lot for the computer. There was a thread with links to these a day or two ago.

- Second upgrade you should spend money on is either toeclips and straps or clipless pedals and shoes. These will make a huge difference to the way you ride and allow you to get more power onto the road, while also moving better with the bike - in my view very helpful for climbing hills and getting out of the saddle.

- I would perhaps pass on the brooks saddles and stick with the ones you have for a while. My experience is that if the position is good, some degree of adaption from the body is necessary before it becomes comfortable. The Brooks will certainly not be comfortable at the start.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

Thanks for the advice about washing hadn't thought about that. Also will go look at the Widgets.

Craig