bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need advice on rubber

No, I don't need advice on those rubbers .

I need some advice on my tires, Vittoria Zaffiro 700x23. This weekend while out and about I got 3 flat tires within 20 miles. Two on the way to a BBQ and one on the way to the post office. Both instances made me late for supper which angered the clyde gods.

The first flat was due to a piece of wire, removed the offending wire, patched and pumped back up. (If you've never changed a road bike tire using the levers that you carry in your mobile repair kit I suggest you do so, I found my road bike tires to be much harder to get on and off the rim than my old mountain bike. 150 frame pumps later I was back in business, rode the bike around the parking lot where I changed it then was promptly greeted with another flat. This time the tube blew out right where the stem attaches. Tossed the old tube and installed a brand new spare that I carry with me. Put the tire back on and 150 pumps later was back on the road. On my way to the BBQ I stopped by a bike shop and picked up another tube and had my air pressure checked. New tube in seat pack I went to the BBQ and back home with no issues (15 miles). The next day I go for a ride to the post office to drop some mail before doing my little training loop. 1.23 miles from home (and 30 minutes before supper was supposed to come out of the oven) I get yet another flat. This one left a gash in my tire about 1/2 cm of which 1/4 when straight through the casing. Naturally this gash when through the new tube. Frustrated I call my wife who then proceeds to SAG me to the post office and back home. After supper I fix the flat which actually took 3 attempts as the tire kept hopping off the rim right about 110 PSI.

My question: I used a piece of duct tape to cover the slash in the tire casing. It appears to be holding though I have not ridden it yet. In your opinion/experience will the duct tape suffice or is 1/4cm too large a gash to live with? Should I buy a new tire? If so what are your thoughts on tire liners? I've noticed they can get just as pricy as new as a new tire (sans slime which I don't want to use), would I be better off with a set of gatorskins or riding the present tires with liners?