Old 07-29-08, 02:29 PM
bwinton

Bikes: '95-ish Trek 800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mmills
Just curious - what's wrong the the Bayview Extension?
Right where it starts, it's got some blind-ish corners, narrow lanes, impatient cars, and is really bumpy on the right half of the right lane. I seem to remember that it widens out a little further on, but between Bayview and Nesbitt, it's an ugly road.

Originally Posted by Cdn Guy
ride down the paved shoulder on the Bayview extension, but opposite direction (northbound).
Ah, the opposite side... That's a neat idea. (The rest of the route is pretty much what I'm doing already.) I generally don't like people riding the wrong way towards me, but I can't imagine that there is a lot of northbound cycle traffic on that stretch in the morning.

Originally Posted by Indie
Heh, I just discovered that this morning. Haven't ridden in a little while. I stopped at the bottom of the ramp on the north side and asked a dog-walker if there was a way to get to Summerhill, and here's what I got:
That must have been quite the surprise! And it's closed until September 28th!!!

So I'm not really sidewalk-legal (but I don't let that stop me on that little stretch over Mt. Pleasant!), so I guess I won't take the sidewalk, but it's a pretty nice route even on the street. (I take that route going north, back home.) Oh, and yesterday there was an oil spill on the road, so it was closed off, but the cop who was sitting there just warned me, and told me to take the sidewalk to avoid it.

Originally Posted by cooker
I think the other posters have covered it - you can swing east or west and cross the tracks at Bayview or Mt. Pleasant and then return to your original route.
Yup, that seems to be about it. Odd that I never really knew how cut apart the city was until they closed that bridge.

There is also the Moore Park Ravine [...] None of those options are very satisfactory.
Yeah, not really. I've been up and down there, and I find I really prefer riding on the road. I mean, I end up going the same average speed, but I like the speed and lack-of-slipperiness I can get on the road. (Funny, I suppose, what with my riding a mountain bike.)

However it might be an enjoyable ride coming home. Take Queen St (or is it King, or Dundas?) to the Don Valley,
I'ld probably just head down to the waterfront, and get on at Cherry Street, if I took that route. Actually I might do that tonight...

Thank you, everyone, for the suggestions. I'll probably try them all out at some point, just for the variety