Old 07-29-08, 09:35 PM
wralyn

Bikes: 2011 Marin Bolinas Ridge 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road bike sizing help...

I'm currently riding a late 90s hybrid Schwinn Frontier with 23" frame. It serves my purpose for now, but I have started looking for an inexpensive, older, 70s to 90s road bike to add to my repertoire. I had one in college but don't remember any details about it other than it was free. It was fun to ride and a lot more comfortable than what I have now. I just don't know what size frame I should be looking for.

I'm 6'6" 340lbs and according to the pole I just pulled tightly into my crotch, have a standover height of about 35.5" (with no gap). My proportion is a little top heavy with more length in torso than in legs. I've checked around the LBSs and Craigslist, but haven't really found anything locally that I can try out. I expect to have to buy eBay without seeing the bike first...unless I get lucky.

I'm afraid I'm going to end up with something too small or (heaven forbid) too big.

With the info provided, can you give me any advice on recommended size? I realize that there is more to it than just frame size, but that's probably going to be my starting point. I also realize that I may go through a couple of bikes before finding the "right" one. I just want to be able to make a better "educated" guess when buying.

Thanks for your help.