View Single Post
Old 07-31-08, 02:10 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Ride, rebuild, or replace this wheel?

[Background: Wheel is 24 spoke Mavic Aksium, I'm a 270# Clyde that rides mostly in NYC (lots of bumpy roads), enjoy longer rides though not racing by any stretch]

About a week ago a rag got caught in my rd which seized up and exploded, got stuck in the spokes, bent the hanger, bent the chain, and bent a spoke. Got all that fixed but I'm a little worried about the rim. Take a look at the right most spoke:

I noticed this very small bump on the outside of the rim where it meets the nipple that you can sort of see. No cracks from what I can tell. Had the lbs who fixed the broken spoke and realigned the hanger take a look and they felt it was fine but I wanted to get a few more opinions. However after 10 miles the wheel went back out of true to where it was before I brought it in which makes me think something is off (though that could just be a stripped nipple I guess).

If I should replace it I was thinking about reusing the hub and just get a new rim and spokes along with a tension meter and lace it myself. Haven't found a shop around here that will actually use one to true my wheels and I've had troubles in the past with bad trues because of it - this would be an opportunity to dive deeper into the world of wheel building. Seems like it would be a really easy wheel to build, the final tension is what would worry me. I could just go for broke and have Harris Cyclery or Peter White build a 36 spoke Deep V too and use this as a spare in the meantime if its rideable but I have a bunch of rides coming up in September and doubt I'd get a replacement back that quickly.

So my questions:

- Rideable or not?

- What's the strongest spokes I should get for it? I know for regular wheels the 14 gauge DT double butted is the way to go but I'm not sure if I have to use bladed spokes or if there's a stronger option I should be aware of.

- Good source for rims & spokes?

Thanks!

It's the year of the enema!

Last edited by Air; 07-31-08 at 02:13 PM.