View Single Post
Old 08-01-08, 08:35 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Corsaire
I want to start commuting by bike to my new job, 15 miles one way. But unfortunately I can only go so far since local roads would only allow me to go for up to 8 miles, after that local, bikeable roads end and there's no way to cross the Hackensack river into Secaucus, NJ - unless you get onto major highly traffic hwys like Rte 3 and adjacents which would be way too dangerous, I mean these are big traffic hwys with no shoulders, no way. I don't even believe bikes are allowed on these hwys anyway.
Corsaire
LOL..... I know exactly what you're talking about because I live Jersey too. ;-)

I think what's more important is the bus and how packed they are duing rush hour. You can do an inexpensive test and buy a Dahon Bolso bag and fill it up with clothes. Make it real thick so that bag is tight and rather large. Now take this big bag to the bus stop and try to boad. Do this exercise for two weeks and if you have no problems, buy the bike ASAP!

On the other hand, if the bus driver tells you no large bags during rush hour. If the bus is packed and there is no place to put the bag? Then you better think again about buying ANY folding bike. Don't forget to get your money back for the bag. You won't be needing it.

The best bike for a bus would be a Strida or Carryme. However, since you have hills, get one that has a lot of gears. Try to get a bike with 16' inch wheels because smaller is better. However, 20' inch wheels are fine but don't forget to test the bus drivers using my exercise.