Old 08-02-08, 09:38 AM
daedalus8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advice on converting "road racer" to commuter

Hello All,

Seeking advice on "converting" an old "ten speed" (Schwinn Le tour or voyager sort, lugged steel frame Drop Handlebars) to a more comfortable riding position-read: need a more upright position as my back went out riding with the drop handlebars that i've ridden for 40 years. My questions are concerning swapping out the handlebars, stem, and brake levers-the bike has a Wald sort of wedge stem-can I use a " higher " handlebar and levers for non drop handlebars? The traditional touring sort of bar would be fine, It would be nice to have decent control and the most upright position possible, I don't care about wind resistance or anything like that. I have been scouring the second hand stores, and there has been a complete dearth of adult sized bicycles (which is probably a good sign in that people on a budget may have to budget even more, and have chosen to get out of their cars to do so) that I could use or swap out the parts. Will the more traditional brake levers have the proper travel to use the center pull brakes that my bike is fitted with?

TIA!!

genn