Old 08-02-08, 10:34 AM
Alathea
Mr. Frowny Man

Bikes: 2009 Giant Yukon single speed;2014 Foam Green Surly CrossCheck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Formal intro, though ive been on BikeForums for sometime.

Did the 4 year thing after HS in 95-Hastings College, dual major Language Art Ed. and Vocal Music Performance. I went three years there, ate too much, got to be about 300 lbs,moved off campus and got depressed, transferred to Dana College after I met (and later married) my wife in 1998, and then my mom was diagnosed with 'kill you' type colon cancer in 2000. She managed to get to a remission, so in 2001 I did what every computer weenie does when they don't have a degree, have a background in Fine Arts, and are working at a WalMart in Gage County with their friends that never left. I lost a lot of weight and I Joined The Army! I figured losing a lot of that weight had to be good for something, right?

That went well for awhile, I had life all planned out for the next 6-8+ (with OCS or Warrant in the future, hopefully) and then a training accident supplied me two cracked lumbars and two ruptured discs with little fragments. Nice. I gained most of my weight back, too. I was on the Army disabled list for 9 months in Virginia while they decided what to do with me, mom's cancer had come back, and my landlord at home was just walking into my house whenever he felt like it with my wife and son there alone. He was kind of a creep, too.

So, FF on to being honorably discharged, working at Tecumseh State Correctional facility because I was too dumb to realize my physical limitations, then directing a security team for Lincoln Composites (govt. contractor) before they became General Dynamics and I lost my job, and then wondering-WTF do I do with my life. Worked at WM again for a bit, and then jumped into ISP/Tech Support at Alltel in 2003 for a year, NE Lottery (System operations) for a year and a half, and now my current employer, a small accounting Software company in Lincoln. I started at Doane College in 2004, figuring my Arts curricula weren't going to impress anyone around here, so I may as well learn something mystical and somewhat lucrative, and graduated in May 08 with a B.S. in Information Systems Management. I currently weigh in with an average of 276 after biking seriously for a month, but having joined up and lurked here for years.