View Single Post
Old 08-05-08, 05:43 AM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts
It's true prawza, this CAN be a highly contentious issue for some.

For me, use what you want and you won't hear a peep from me if you dislike cycling specific shoes and clipless pedals.

However, I highly recommend them.

The cycling specific shoe are a very stiff sole, some more than others. The racing type shoe is incrediably stiff but the touring or commutting type are less rigid for better walking ability. The stiff sole provides better support for the foot when on the pedal = less foot pain. You also get better power transfer to the pedal due to this stiffness.

Cliples pedals, believe it or not offer better safety, better control of your bike and again better power transfer as you can pull up as well as push down.

If anything, I recommend at least a cycling specific shoe, even if you do not want the clipless pedals.

When I bought my first clipless pedals back in 1990 I absolutely hated them and was going to throw them away. One week later I never looked back to platform pedals and clips and straps. Now, ALL my bikes (5) have clipless pedals.

It's all in the type of riding you do and want to do. Don't feel you MUST have them because everyone else does, but with some practice (and patience) if you ever try them I'm willing to bet you'll stay with them.