Old 08-05-08, 10:18 AM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride with Speedplay Light Action pedals and a triple crank.

First the pedals. If you were riding with toe clips and straps, you are going to love pedals they are so much easier.

I like the Light Action for recreational riders. Speedplay claims that they are the easiest pedal to get in and out of. I have used them since November 2006 and have never gone down or had a problem getting out. You just step down and they go "click" and you are in. If you miss the sweet spot, just keep pedaling and clip in after you are moving.

What I do is move either pedal to the top position and then as you push down on the pedal and start moving, I clip in with the other foot.

Before I had Speedplay, I had Shimano SPD-L pedals for about three weeks and when down three time because I could get out of them easily. I really love the Speedplay pedals. Walking in them is more difficult than the Look style pedals. However, if you put coffee covers of them, they are then extremely easy. You wouldn't even know you were wearing clipless shoes.

Here is a picture of them:

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/SPEMXSPL

As for triple vs compact double. The triple gives you a larger range and still a close range. For example, you could put a 12-27 with a triple and you would need use an 11-30 to match that range with a compact double. However, if you use an 11-30, the jumps between gears is more. The triple will have closer spacing.

The down side to a triple, they weight a little more. However, they may not weigh more if you had a compact with an 11-30 on it. The large cog in the back is going to be heavier.

The shifting between chain rings will be a little slower, but not bad at all.

The triple isn't as "cool" as a compact double.

However, the nice thing about the triple, you can spend most of your time in just one chain ring. In my case it is a 42. I seldom use either of the other two chain rings. The hills have to be really nasty to need the small chain ring or I need to be exhausted. The large chain ring is used mostly on declines where I want a lot of speed.

I think with a compact double you will be shifting between chain rings more often.

Last edited by Carbon Unit; 08-05-08 at 11:21 AM.