View Single Post
Old 08-05-08, 01:45 PM
Torrilin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And three months later... I still haven't figured out how to get photos off the cell phone. But I can tell y'all more about a Breezer in daily use.

I had a huge grocery list this morning. It started with 10 lbs flour (only 10 more lbs to go and I'll be back to full winter stockpile), 10 lbs sugar, and it went downhill from there. I eyeballed it at 50 lbs. I was wrong. I skipped about 10-15 lbs worth of stuff, and came home with a 54 lb load. Canvas bag playing trunk rack, stuffed panniers, stuffed basket. I *might* have been able to squeeze in another 5 or 6 lbs, but that's it.

Handling was best described as wiggly. It felt like the tail of the bike flexed if I was pedaling with a lot of force. *Much* less scary than the riding on ice effect with my old bike, since all I had to do to prevent it was gear down. So 50-60 lbs is probably the max I should haul with this bike, even if it's technically capable of more. And an 84 lb loaded bike is about the maximum I can manhandle into the building's lobby. Any more and I should unload outside before tackling the front stoop.

This thing is *incredibly* capable for hauling cargo. It's also done a drum throne, a stint of trailer duty, and a whole lot of ordinary loads. And now that I'm used to the gearing, it's a zippy little thing. If I go full tilt, I misplace my partner and get glared at, so I'm assigned to always tail him (again).

The bottle generator will give up in heavy rain, but it takes 10-20 minutes for the tires to get wet enough for that to happen (and since the odds of me riding in heavy rain at night are pretty low, it's not a huge problem). The pedals *suck* in rain... they're much too slippery. And as I rather feared, the handlebar/hand grip combination is not great. It's fine for 20-30 miles, but beyond that my wrists would like Ergon grips or a mustache/North Roads bar. Either one would do fine. All of these problems are fixable, and none of them interfere with normal daily use.

I could be happier with it, but it would be *very* tough for a stock bike to suit me better.