View Single Post
Old 08-05-08, 03:30 PM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by andymac
The posts about seat height are applying a rule that applies to some styles of biking as a general rule, that is more than a little dangerous.
Would you expect a BMX rider to have their seat up so that they had to lean over to get a toe down, or a mountain biker that rides a downhill bike in the bike parks or maybe someone that uses their bike for dirt jumping??? Of course not is the correct answer.

The OP indicated "I can't touch the ground with either toe without tilting the bike to one side." Not being able to touch your toe, not foot, "toe", down without tilting to the side at the lowest saddle position is no way to have a mountain bike set up. Certainly you would want to have the seat post range be broad enough to set up a position where your leg was almost straight at the lowest point in the crank cycle but you also want to be able to slam the seat to the bottom when you are faced with a long steep descent covered in roots and rocks. The OP is barely able to get a toe down at the "lowest" setting, this is not something he/she should get used to.
I agree that there needs to be more room for adjustment, but on a lot of new bikes, suspesion jacks the bike up by several inches - what would have been a setup able to put a toe on the ground on a rigid bike is now a setup that you have to slide forward off the saddle to touch the ground. Of course, there needs to be adjustment for difficult terrain, but more hurt their knees riding a bike with the saddle 5" too low than get hurt because they have their saddle too high.

However, it is impossible to say exactly what is going on in this case because we do not exactly how the OP fits on the bike in question!

FWIW, I think the seatpost should definitely be cut.