Old 08-05-08, 05:32 PM
uncadan8
Dwindling Roadie

Bikes: Cannondale Caad8 R1000, '80's Cannondale (The Beast), Diamondback Topanga Hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"clydes should probably have 28 or 32 for the road), and that they are pumped up to their maximum pressure (hopefully 85 lbs or more, over 100psi is best)"

I would definitely disagree with this. I started riding at 315+ and have always ridden 23 cm tires. I have never had any issues with them and usually run them at their near max of 120+ (depending on the tire). I can't imagine why I would need a wider tire for road use.

I have seen this thinking posted elsewhere on this forum and am puzzled as to why people think Clydes have to roll on bikes built like tanks. I now weigh 240 and my legs are bigger than ever - even when I used to do powerlifting. So believe me when I say that I can put a hurtin' on a bike.

As far as the speed/weight question goes, I think the only place that weight matters for Clydes is in hill climbing. Descending is awesome, flats don't matter, and the weight can even be a benefit when there are rollers. The only place I have gotten slower since riding (been on the same bike since I started 3 years ago - it weighs 19) is on the descents because I don't have as much weight pulling me down the hills. But saving a few pounds on the bike doesn't mean near as much as getting rid of the pounds around my waist!