View Single Post
Old 11-10-04, 02:11 AM
HoboRandy
I'm Jack's sense of humor

Bikes: Schwinn, Puch, Raleigh, couple no-names. All Goodwill bikes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another tool kit question

I read the other recent tool kit threads - I didn't really find an answer and I didn't want to hijack anyone's thread. My feelings won't be hurt if this is closed or merged or whatever.

I'm relatively new to cycling, and I'm hooked - great transportation, great exercise, great hobby!

I've got a few mid-70s goodwill road bikes, and I plan on buying more (and more, and more....). I'm also looking at building up a brand new road bike over the winter, and after surfing this forum for awhile I think I want to build up a fixed gear bike as well.

I have a pretty extensive set of Craftsman mechanics tools, but the wrenches don't fit where I really need them, and I'm noticing that the few bikes I have are all a little different in their tool requirements - some of the stuff I've never seen before. Sometimes I feel like the dumb kid trying to shove the triangle block through the square hole. Right tool for the right job, eh?

Any suggestions for a quality tool set that will cover all my bases for repair and building of road bikes of all flavors (not just new bikes/components)? Or maybe a comprehensive list of tools (I'm just assuming a pre-assembled set would save some money). I really don't even know what the names of all the parts are, let alone the tools I would need for them. The Park tool website is pretty darn helpful, but I'd be happy camper if I could sit down with a bike and just dig through a tool set to find the exact appropriate tool I need. I'm a learn-by-doing kinda guy. I'm planning on doing quite a bit of wrenching, so I don't want to skimp out or find myself waiting around for specialty tools to be ordered. I'd like to buy quality tools - I busted my knuckles wide open last summer when a cheap-o wrench broke while I was rebuilding my front suspension...I learned my lesson.

I appreciate and respect the fact that just about everyone here has more experience in this area than me, so I'll listen to advice and suggestions (but that doesn't guarantee I'll heed them! ). Thanks folks!