Old 11-10-04, 06:36 AM
charlesw
I love my life!

Bikes: Univega 1985? Sportour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I couldn'tfind a numbering scheme for Univega (please msg me or email me- charles [then use the sign above the two on your keyboard] loveofcolor.org .

At http://www.vinetage-trek.com/component_dates.htm, they list Dia-Compe brakes as having a numbering sequence for dates. They reccomend looking on the backs of the brake levers for numbers such as "1085", which would indicate the brakes were manufactured in the 10th month- october, in 1985.

My brakes show "5583", which I would assume might be June- but I am not sure. June should be 05. Perhaps one of the Dia Compe brake stampers decided to get exact in his/her punching skills?

I'm going with the year- 83 seems about right. Unfortunatly, I heard Japanese frames that Univega used (Miyata?) were very well made around 86.

By the way, My Univega Sportour serial number that was stamped on the bottom of the crankcase is J624679 . Perhaps the frame may have been made in '79 - but I doubt a Bike Manuf. would keep a bike frame around for four years, then assemble it and ship it out.

Perhaps the Frame is a 79, was shipped and sold in 79/80 and the first owner replaced the brakes after a terrible sliding spagetti accident involving a certain metal-digesting acid broke from a container and destroyed the standard brake levers.

All is speculation, as I only have 5583 as the numbers.

Regards,
Charles

Last edited by charlesw; 12-13-04 at 06:14 PM. Reason: The serial number is J624679, not 1624679. Hope this helps.