View Single Post
Old 11-10-04, 09:20 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
Actually, when you talk pedals, it IS more functional not to have reflectors on them. I sense that most riders that don't understand all pedals not having them are using flat pedals with clips and straps, or cages. My clipless pedals give me much more power throughout my pedal stroke than any flat pedal can give, no matter what attachments they have.
If you want reflective gear, get an Illuminite outfit. The make helmet covers, vests, jackets, cycling tights, pants, and socks, of Illuminite. When any light hits this, it lights right up. The only reason you haven't found reflective gear is you're not looking.
Also, while you're at it, please don't get so hung up on hanging so much safety visibility stuff on yourself that someone decides to make it all mandatory, ALL the time. It's not that easy riding for long periods of time above 20 mph with the drag of the wind hitting all kinds of loose stuff.
No one expects clipless to have reflective material, they are too small and below the foot.
If the reflective material is embedded in the garment, there is nothing flapping around - that is the point - once you add on later it looks worse and prone to falling apart. Yes I am aware there are some unique manufacturers who make fully reflective gear - but also realize how easy, minimal cost and with not impact to wind drag for Giro, PI for example to add reflective material to helmets, tights, etc. Helment cover, come on. For example in the Nashbar catelog one can buy dozens of socks and sock patterns. How many have an embeded reflective stripe around the ankle? How many cycling rain jackets have more than a thin strip of reflective piping. How many gloves have reflective patches? I just was shopping for a warm long fingered glove - only one had reflective patch and for other reasons did not work for me.

Al