Old 08-08-08, 06:21 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by The Historian
The Comeback Trail applies to more than just riding. I went back to the gym yesterday. It's a new gym for me, less than a mile from the Perkiomen and Schuylkill River Trails and about 5 miles from my office. This will allow me to lift and ride too. Also, it's on my commuting route, so when I resume that, I have a place to change and shower on the way in - the twelve miles between my gym and home is where all the hills reside.

I'd stopped working out prior to the tour, and after the accident I couldn't life because of the rib injury. So my first time lifting in more than four months went well. I was sore, but no more than I expected.

While at the gym, I had to face something I've been putting off. But I learned back when I was 400 pounds that accountability is important. I took off my loaded-pocketed jersey, removed my shoes, and stepped up to the scale. I began to move the slider weights..... 250..... 260.... 270 .... Without moving a muscle I hoped against hope.... 280 and the arm was down. Back it off..... 279.... 278.... 277 and it balanced. I'd put on 35 pounds over a year, and to judge from the fit of my clothes, a good ten or more pounds since my accident. I know what to do, and I remember how to do it. Now to do it.
First meeting with a trainer at my gym. Along with discussion of my goals, I grabbed a hand-held meter to measure my body fat. I'm coming in at 37%. We are aiming for 19%.