View Single Post
Old 08-08-08, 08:21 AM
arosusi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crescent

Ok, this might not be a bike that can be called "Classic", but I think that we can agree that it is "Vintage". Some time ago I posted a thread about identifiying an old Swede, see here. I hesitated for a while, knowing that it had already been repainted. Would there be some major problems? Around this part of the world old bikes surface very rarely, and I thought that I'll take a risk and make an offer. I'll need a project to keep myself busy during the long winter, and this one could be an adventure. My offer was accepted, and I got the bike today.

The bike is a Crescent, and said to be from the 1940's. So far I've not found any way to verify this. The serial number is 1997307. At least the drive-train is very old, a three-speed Simplex. The derailleur is slightly rusty, but seems to be functional. The chainring and cogs are in good shape, and the hubs don't seem too bad. I don't know if the wheels are original or not. The tubulars are a little cracked but hold air. The bottom bracket seems to be quite ok also. Brakes are Super Dural something with Weinmann levers.

The bad part is that it has been repainted rather badly. The color is close to the color that a racing Crescent should be, but the fork and rear triangle have been painted silver. There's something chrome-looking underneath the silver paint. Also the hubs, rims, handlebars etc have been painted. The fork has a couple of dents, which dents are ugly. I don't think that the structural damage is too bad.

Here are some pics. Larger pictures can be seen here.

Notice the funky way the rear derailleur cable has been attached.

Huret.

Simplex.

No idea. Can anyone identify these wing-nuts?

I'm going to take a very slow approach with this bike. I think that I'll start by stripping off all the components and at least the silver paint, then I might send it to be painted. I hope to have it in a rideable condition before next summer.