Old 08-08-08, 08:24 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by theconquerorwor
Here is my idea:

Buy a complete IRO Rob Roy with drop bars, v brakes and road levers (when I called they said they will be compatible with each other). Single speed setup, etc.

Sell of the wheel set and add a Nexus 8 speed internal hub wheel, the HubBub from harris cyclery and the shifter.

Be a little bit happier on my 28 mile roundtrip commute.

Any thoughts?
Its a neat idea and I had planned on doing basically the exact same thing with my RR , but I ended up making it SS, then later made it FG. My commute is about the same distance as yours too. I came to the conclusion that it just wasn't worth the cost or the hassle of an internally geared hub. Unless you are riding extreme hills in really really crappy conditions, I don't see the point of an internally geared hub. Nearly all internally geared hubs are reportedly less efficient than even standard external gears. If someday I decide I need gears, I will probably just go with a basic derailleur bike..its cheaper, more efficient, easier to fix flats, easier to find parts, and not really that hard to maintain.

Still, I'm sure an internally geared RR would be fun to set up and tinker with. Good Luck!

Last edited by mihlbach; 08-08-08 at 08:33 PM.