Old 08-09-08, 10:18 AM
RedC

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cod.peace
I took a trip to the post office today during lunch, about a 5 mile round trip ride. You know, from the car a 3% grade over 0.6 miles doesn't seem that bad, but on the bike I used the very lowest gear I had (30 front, 32 rear) after the 1st half of the hill and managed to maintain a steady 5 mph. Sheesh. I feel pathetic just posting those numbers. On the other hand, I did do a nice 31 mph down the hill, assuming my Sigma Sport cyclocomputer is accurate .

So, how much riding does it take to make the damn hills easier??
Would someone please answer the question. How much riding for how long to get results. I went on my first group ride today and I did OK except on the damn hills, then it got embarassing. So I'd like the answer to the question. I've been riding two months,(less two weeks on vacation) I'm closing in on 700 miles. I ride six miles each way to work four days a week, and I'm up to 20 to 25 miles a day on the other three days. Eventually, like everyone else I read here, I want to go further and faster and justify purchasing another bike. Right now, I'd just like to go up the hills faster.