View Single Post
Old 08-09-08, 11:37 PM
Smartyy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it possible for me to compete...

Hello everyone, I am new here to these forums and am one a missions: to fine out if what I want is possible.

My mom and my uncle both competed in the Olympic trials for the US team in the 1980s, placing 6th and 10th, so barely not making the team. My grandpa (the father of them) was their coach from the beginning.
So I guess you could say that I come from a good family of cyclists (my dad also competed in road races in high school) but unfortunately no such cycling team exists in the city of Louisville where I live.
Earlier today I found out about the Youth Olympics, a new thing going to be hosted in Singapore in 2010 for people of the ages 14-18. I looked up all the events going to be hosted and I noticed cycling was one of them... more specifically, BMX and Mountain Biking.
Now the longest I've rode in a day was 130 miles, I'm more of a distance person in everything that I do (in swimming I was the fastest miler and 1k-er on the team, and one of the fastest in the state) I've never competed in any sort of cycling and, apart form doing it for fun in the forest in the back yard, have never truly Mountain Biked.
Since it's unfortunate that there isn't going to by road racing in the Youth Olympics, I had a thought. If I trained really hard and stayed focused for the next 2 yeras, is it even remotely possible for me to make the US team and compete in the 2010 Youth Olympic Games?

Honestly it was just a thought, when it comes to something I want usually I stay more focused on it that anything else in the world. My mom describes it as "I put blinders on and only look at the thing I want"

So my question is if I train hard and stay focused, is it even possible for me to compete? My grandpa would be my trainer, considering he got my mom and uncle almost to the olympics, I'm sure he's still got something up his sleeve and would be a great coach.

Thanks so much,

-Smartyy!