View Single Post
Old 08-10-08, 04:32 PM
Onegun
Oldie. Boy, howdy!

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
FUN??!! FUN, he calls it! 125 mile ride with probably 125 stop lights or stop signs, and this is fun?

But we're gonna give it a shot! I haven't done 125 since 1985, and my wife has never gone that long. 84 is her longest, (the Suncoast Trail from Lutz Lake Fern Rd, up and back). But that's almost uninterrupted riding ... what are there, 6 roads to cross the entire length?

This ride will be different. The main reason we're doing it is it's on my wife's "list of things to do", and we also know if we complete this "double metro metric", then a rural 300k in the cool of winter will be a walk in the park .... uuh, so to speak.

On the upside, because it IS right here in the bay area, it's a great ride to try for a first brevet. If you do have to abandon, you won't have to feel guilty about asking your friend to drive halfway across the state at $4 a gallon to rescue you! (If you do abandon, please DO let the organizer know so he won't have the Natuional Guard out looking for you for two days!)

As a matter of fact, this will be "our" first "brevet" as well. I qualify both those words because I've done double centuries before, (back in the 70's and 80's), and we didn't have a cool French word for them then. We just called them "ridiculously long distance rides during which you can expect help from no one because everyone thinks you're crazy for riding a bicycle that far in the first place". "Brevet" is much shorter.

Anyway, Maggi and I will be on our bright red Trek T2000 tandem, so we'll be hard to miss as well. Stop by and say hi!

Anyone know how many are registered for this thing?
BICYCLE - [[I]bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike