Bionicycle
No I'm Not a Pirate!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by angelaharms
Howdy!

I am wondering who else is biking through pain, fatigue and weakness related to chronic illness. I'd love to know what kind of bike you ride, how you deal with challenges, and how things have changed (improved) for you since you started.

I'll answer too, but I want to think about it first.

Angela
I ride a bike, having had two lower back surgeries, and a total left hip replacement. The main concession, if you could call it that, is that I have started riding only step-though frame bicycles. I call it a concession only because it kept me from riding my beloved 1976 Schwinn Le Tour again.

I have a modern Single Speed U-frame/Mono tube (Aluminum) Cruiser bike I like really well… and for more adventurous rides I have a 1985 Fuji Sagres Mixte 12 speed bike. My wife has a Single Speed Cruiser that she likes really well, but if I ride the Mixte with her; she says it gives me an unfair advantage on the hills…

For the most part my pain level isn’t too bad, my back will flair up sometimes, and sadly my right hip (original equipment) has been flaring up more lately… sometime in the not too distant future, it’s going to need replaced I fear. But, I’m lucky, if you could call it lucky, I have been told by many of my Doctors, that I seem to have developed an extremely high tolerance to pain… I think they are full of it, because some mornings it takes a lot of effort to get up and get going…

Just get out there and do what you can, and try to have fun doing it… you will be surprised how much more you can do, if you are enjoying it at the time… but, be ready to possibly pay for it the next day. The good will often out last the bad...