Old 08-11-08, 01:17 PM
the watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Birdy Rohloff...now? Or wait for the new Rohloff speedhub (2009!)

Hi, I am bikeless at the moment, and need to get a replacement. I loved the ride on the Birdy Rohloff and it seems ideal for an all round leisure, commuting and fun bike. Plus I wanted a bike I could enjoy a fully upright position on.

However, I've been reading about this new Rohloff hub which is going to have a range of up to 580% (not so important since I'm not planning on going up any mountains!) and is 20% lighter and smaller (important for commuting in London and fitting it into the tube during rush hour).

Any advice on whether I should wait till the new hub is out or go ahead with this one if my next test ride (this time with the comfort to stem and hopefully the Rohloff)? I am going to be adding the rack and marathon plus tyres which is going to make it heavy enough as it is (not to mention 10kg backpack with water, food etc).

Thanks for any advice. I will probably be spending the next 10 months paying for this bike, but it's my graduation present to myself

Last I read, this so called 2008 Rohloff hub is only due to begin testing in 2009 so who knows when it will be out for general purchase. Also, at least the current rohloff hub is tried and tested for its quality, durability etc.

Thanks