Old 08-12-08, 01:38 AM
the watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pm124
Why not get one with a Nexus 7 if you are not climbing any mountains?
Because the Rohloff seems to be the best one in terms of long term reliability and maintenance free attributes. Is there any performance loss in using the Rohloff to NOT climb mountains?

My lifestyle at present is pretty fixed so I don't see the need to have 2 bikes. I need a bike to get around within a 3-5mile radius for leisure/socializing/shops/work etc.

I need to be able to cycle up to 7 miles to the tube station, pack it in during rush hour, and cycle a few more miles at the other end. Reverse journey, I wanted a fast, easy bike since I don't have much stamina and generally feel wasted at the end of the day (I was ill a couple of years ago, it's left me pretty underweight and I can't seem to build myself back up. I've only just stabalised my weight.) That in mind, I suppose I wanted a "fun" bike to enthuse me into cycling back alertly, and also with the option of packing on the tube on days when I feel exhausted or need to attend an evening course (a random course I find fascinating which will never help my employment prospects!) at a university in central london since I finish that at like 8.30pm.
Incidentally I am still looking for a job in central london! I still work within a 5mile radius as I did before graduating.

Also, I wanted a bike which allowed me to sit perfectly upright (back/neck issues from car accident a few years ago) and to offset the fact that this means that all the bumps etc are transmitted directly into the spine, I suppose I needed suspension.

Birdy seems to fit the bill on all accounts. I suppose I could go with the touring model. I've mentioned my (amateur) reasons for so far preferring the Rohloff hub though.

Still somnatash does make a compelling and humorous post. lol. I was told by my LBS that is might actually cost more to fit the Rohloff later on though (once labour is taken into account).