View Single Post
Old 08-12-08, 03:36 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyber_hawke
Can anyone suggest a good seat for a road bike that either makes allowances for this area or provides a wide enough support to distribute the weight, or whatever?
My first suggestion is to buy padded cycling shorts or underwear if you don't already own them. For me, this made the biggest difference. If you don't want to wear lycra, look into mountain biking shorts. They look more like a regular short, but still have a chamois pad to help maintain comfort while in the saddle. If you want to wear your regular workout shorts, Andiamo sells underwear that has a chamois pad. In my experience, the padding isn't quite as nice as you'd get with a real cycling short, however.

My second suggestion is to check the position and height of your saddle. I've noticed that quite a few people tend to have their saddle too far back, so they end up sitting on the narrow portion of the saddle while the wide area at the back of the saddle is unused. If you haven't had anyone fit you to your bike, you might want to have someone you help with the fit. I recently installed a new saddle on my road bike, didn't get the position quite right, and thought I hated the saddle as a result. Once I realized I was sliding forward, and adjusted the position to compensate, I found that the saddle was actually very nice.

As far as saddles that may work, there are lots of possibilities. How much money are you willing to spend? I find that saddles with lots of padding don't work well over the long-haul. My commuter bike has a very wide, very well-padded Serfas Rx Mens saddle. It's only good for 10-20 miles before the constant pressure created by the gel padding leads to numbness. The saddle I use for longer rides is actually slightly narrower and has much less padding. It's good for 40-50 miles before it starts to become annoying.