Old 08-12-08, 05:24 PM
biggyph00l

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to biking, new to this thread, just new...

So, this is my second post on this site (or any biking Forum for that matter). My first posed a similar question, which ultimately, and in a very kind manner, directed me to this thread for more potential advice. Big thanks to the cool people in the Commuting thread.

So, I'm a big dude, 400 lbs now.I I have recently shed some pounds, and in the 'strike while the iron is hot' mentality, am desiring to find a bike to begin commuting to and from my varies activities, like work and the such. I tried to browse through other threads, only to find I was over whelmed by what I was reading. I understand biking, just not the technical aspects to it. So, I was hoping maybe a few people who have a moment can help direct me to what I need...:

From my understanding, most 'road bikes' tend to cause a person to enter a semi-contorted position, where in you lean pretty far forward, to create an apparent aerodynamic riding experience, while most mountain bikes encourage a regular sitting position. I can't imagine road bikes to be amazingly comfortable, mainly because I'm imagining my stomach getting in the way of a comfortable ride. Is that true?

Nextly, I've been reassured by the nice people in the Commuters thread that there are bikes out there that can hold my weight. Is there anyone here who can suggest a good cost efficient one? I'm looking for 200 dollars or so. If not, I can stash up some more cash and go for something more costly, stingy side be damned. <edit add> In compliance with Air's sticky, I'm looking for something thats comfortable and capable of taking a beating. I live in the urban sprawl, so it wont be facing many adverse conditions, like dirt or hills. Good seating is a must. I couldn't imagine sitting on one of those 3 inch wide seats. I'm not just heavy, I'm big <end edit>

Lastly, since I just found out theres a lot more needed to biking besides a bike and a desire to ride, I have compiled a list of additional gear I will need to purchase. Please, let me know if I'm missing anything...

Safety Lights
Helmet
Bike Lock (not chain, hard metal only)

Thanks a bunch, guys.
-Jake
Bike Newbie, extraordinaire!

Last edited by biggyph00l; 08-12-08 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Read Air's sticky