donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mandovoodoo
I've carried a baby viola ("violin") in a decent case that fits it tightly stuck in a pannier and held down with a bungy cord. Nothing valuable, just some old Italian thingie. With some padding in the bottom of the pannier and between pannier and rack it's suspended a bit. I always have bubble wrap around. I ship violins worldwide, never a problem, and I think FedEx and USPS have mastered package shock!!! Key is a case that fits really well. I'd also get a case that doesn't have bow spinners pointed at the top of the instrument! Loser fitting cases - well, we use microcell padding, thin stuff. We keep a big roll of it around for such purposes.

There are also cases with padded covers. I think Bobelock put one out.

Regardless, bottom of the instrument towards the ground, like carrying via subway strap, and it should be fine.

Keep in mind that I am the kind of person who will carry a fiddle on a string around a festival, pegbox to endpin! Nothing valuable or anything. I think the last time I was carrying a Luigi Fabris, 19th C Italian. Not in great shape, probably worth less than $10K.

Don't worry, be happy.

If you want me to find a case for you I might be able to get a closeout somewhere. mail at giannaviolins dot com. There are some cool cases out there, light and well padded.
Something tells me this man knows what he is talking about.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."