KiddSisko
Has coddling tendencies.

Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzbox View Post
Foo was almost fooled. You're right about her sleeping, I give her extra lovings to make up for when I'm not around(she gets depressed). I'm sorry for your loss, it must be hard. She's getting old and whenever that day comes I don't know what I'll do. From other dogs I've been around and seen I think my dog is really unique an it'd be hard to find one like her if I wanted another one.
It was very hard. I'll skip the details, cuz I don't want y'all to . Tell you how hard it was though - I couldn't take him down to where he was put to sleep. A neighbor offered to do it in exchange for my picking up his daughter from summer school. Afterwards, another neighbor began telling me how sad it was to see him being carried out to the car and I had to stop him.

It happened at 1pm, and I still had work to do at my home office, which I managed to do just fine. Later that afternoon I had a taping job at a performance venue in Hollywood, so that kept me focused. But sitting in the audience was a friend and client of mine who lost her dear pet a year ago. When I saw her sitting there I hoped I wouldn't have to talk with her because I didn't want to talk about Oggie Boy. As it turned out, I had to talk with her after the show while packing up my gear. She asked how I was doing, and I said, "You don't want to know Lisa." She looked at me and said, "It doesn't have anything to do with a dog, does it?" The weird part is that she didn't even know about his condition. It had been a few months since I last spoke with her. She just instinctively knew. I said yes, "but I don't really want to talk about it right now, cuz well..." She gave me a hug and said to call her if needed. Before leaving, I was able to socialize for a bit, still holding everything back in. But as soon as I got in the car to leave I just exploded in tears. I honestly don't know how I got home because I certainly wasn't present while driving. Autopilot I guess.

Part of the deep sadness was knowing how present he was in those last days despite his physical debilitation. He couldn't chase balls anymore. He could barely get up to walk without great difficulty, but with eyes still sharp and clear, he'd sure catch one if you tossed one at him. He also had a little stuffed kitty that he befriended and carried around in his mouth that last year. He lost his hearing 2 years ago and didn't respond to calls anymore, but if I wanted him to follow me, all I had to do was pick up the kitty and walk away. I used that trick in his last weeks to get him up for simple walk, or even to eat and drink by setting the kitty down near his water dish. It's all those kinds of things that reveal what incredible character these animals really have, even in their last days. To experience all that is a blessing, but knowing that doesn't hurt any less when they go.

These animals are all very special. I've yet to meet one that didn't have a distinct personality. I just made a new friend this past week. A neighbor is on vacation and I'm caring for her 1 year old male cat. I basically let him out for the day, make sure he's got food and water, then put him in at night. He's always been really shy around me and has never acknowledged my calls to him. Just two days ago I was laying on the carpet after feeding him, and he walked over and began sniffing me, then purring, then rubbing his face on my hands. Now whenever I go over there he won't leave me alone. I can walk to the far end of the house and he follows behind. We're now playing hide and seek, chase the fingers, and he also gives me a massage by walking up and down my back if I lay face down on the ground. Such a character! They're all characters!

Last edited by KiddSisko; 08-13-08 at 01:44 AM.
KiddSisko is offline   Reply With Quote