Old 08-13-08, 11:10 AM
andre nickatina
not actually Nickatina

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZeroG
Thanks for the schooling Andre, and it makes sense. What about HED trispokes?
Tri Spokes (Specialized/HED) are legitimately aerodynamic and the design that's been around since the 80's has more or less remaimed one of the most aerodynamic designs up to this day. They never fell out of favor with the racing crowd and have been a staple in triathlons and time trials. Also see them at the track, though the pros use Mavic IO's.

It used to be easier to find Tri Spokes at a deal from what I understand, now the market is more inflated with a lot of people buyin them on the street. Me, I got a deal on one for $200, figured it was too good to pass up. I ride it on the street though not daily by any means and can see easily how it's less than practical - the way it picks up cross winds is not that safe at all in traffic, so it's best to keep them at home on windy days. I'll admit it's for looks on the street, but I also race it on the track as it's my only tubular wheel and is noticeably faster and better handling in a race when I have the tire pumped up to 160psi (vs. 120 for clinchers).

Also, apparently Tri Spokes can be trued, but I'm gonna call HED and ask myself.

Edit: just called HED. Rear Tri Spokes CAN be trued to an extent. Front HEDs no, but Specialized Tri Spokes were designed to be interchangeable front/rear so there'd be a possibility for them. BFSSFG t will now explode in 3, 2, 1...

Last edited by andre nickatina; 08-13-08 at 11:15 AM.